Learn the fundamentals of Council Tax legislation, including personal liability, discounts, exemptions, recovery and enforcement.
This course will give you the skills to deal with day-to-day Council Tax work, and provide accurate advice to customers. It also focuses strongly on the practical day-to-day issues faced by staff who deal with Council Tax. This Introduction to Council Tax Legislation course is written by our experts with over 25 years experience in local authority legislation.
By the end of this Introduction to Council Tax Legislation training, you will be able to:
- Explain how and why dwellings are valued
- Define the Completion Notice and describe when it needs to be issued
- State which person should be made liable to pay Council Tax
- Identify when to apply a discount or reduction
- State when a dwelling is exempt from the Council Tax charge
- Briefly explain the purpose of the Council Tax Support Scheme
- Describe the billing and collection processes
Who should take this course?
The course is ideal for training new Council Tax staff, customer service staff or cross-training existing benefits staff to undertake Council Tax work.